Dear hakkers,

We are pleased to announce a new patch release of Akka 2.5.

Users of akka-camel are recommended to update to Camel version 2.17.7 and
akka-camel 2.5.4 due to a security vulnerability in Camel, see below.

Some notable improvements in 2.5.4 are:

   -

   New PartitionHub

<http://doc.akka.io/docs/akka/2.5/scala/stream/stream-dynamic.html#using-the-partitionhub>
   for routing of elements to dynamic streams, #21880
   <https://github.com/akka/akka/issues/21880>
   -

   New timer API

<http://doc.akka.io/docs/akka/2.5/scala/actors.html#timers-scheduled-messages>
   for scheduling messages in an actor to itself, #15733
   <https://github.com/akka/akka/issues/15733>
   -

   New affinity dispatcher, thanks to Zahari Dichev
   <https://github.com/zaharidichev> and Viktor Klang, #12035
   <https://github.com/akka/akka/issues/12035>
   -

   Support more than one role in Cluster aware routers, thanks to Sébastien
   Lorion <https://github.com/slorion>, #23257
   <https://github.com/akka/akka/pull/23257>
   -

   Prioritized merge stream operator, thanks to Arpan Chaudhury
   <https://github.com/arpanchaudhury>, #22865
   <https://github.com/akka/akka/issues/22865>
   -

   Following the Reactive Streams 1.0.1 release

<https://www.lightbend.com/blog/update-release-reactive-streams-1-0-1-and-jdk9>
   yesterday, Akka Streams is now fully compatible with that revision of the
   standard (which is backwards compatible with 1.0.0)  #23498
   <https://github.com/akka/akka/issues/23498>
   -

   Stages for restarting streams after a backoff, thanks to James Roper
   <https://github.com/jroper>,  #19950
   <https://github.com/akka/akka/issues/19950>

A total of 53 issues were closed since 2.5.3. The complete list can be
found on the 2.5.4 <https://github.com/akka/akka/milestone/117?closed=1>
milestone on github.
Security vulnerability in Camel dependency

akka-camel had a dependency to camel-core 2.15.6 and that version of
Camel’s Validation Component is vulnerable against SSRF via remote DTDs and
XXE, as described in CVE-2017-5643
<https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2017-5643>. Therefore we have updated
the Camel dependency to version 2.17.7 in Akka 2.5.4 and 2.4.20. If you are
using akka-camel you should also update your dependencies of other Camel
modules to 2.17.7.

This update of Camel version might cause that akka-camel is not fully
backwards compatible with prior versions. We didn’t have to change the
source code when updating but there might be changes in Camel that we are
not aware of. It’s recommended that you recompile and test your
applications and libraries when doing this update.

We would like to thank Thomas Szymanski for bringing this issue to our
attention.
Credits

For this release we had the help of 47 committers – thank you all very much!

commits  added  removed

    18   1537     2328 Arnout Engelen

    16   1407     4158 Richard Imaoka

    15   2354      480 Patrik Nordwall

    12     80       55 Sebastian Harko

    10    748     1968 Nafer Sanabria

    10    290       72 Konrad `ktoso` Malawski

     4    525     1470 gosubpl

     4    334     1075 Atiq Sayyed

     4    840      335 Johan Andrén

     4    513      393 Viktor Klang

     4     13       22 Ryan Brideau

     3    911     1207 Martynas Mickevičius

     3     48       12 Hawstein

     3      2       15 László van den Hoek

     2    296       24 Josep Prat

     2     82       82 Jimin Hsieh

     1   1342      136 Zahari Dichev

     1   1173        3 James Roper

     1    444       95 Sébastien Lorion

     1    329        3 Arpan Chaudhury

     1    149        7 Kirill Yankov

     1     30       24 Heiko Seeberger

     1     36        1 Nicolas Vollmar

     1     30        3 Gilad Hoch

     1     16       16 Patryk Najda

     1     15        5 Jim Riordan

     1     12        6 Jan Ypma

     1     18        0 Alexander Golubev

     1     16        1 Den Kovalevsky

     1      9        6 Daniele Torelli

     1      7        1 Johannes Rudolph

     1      3        3 Dale Wijnand

     1      3        3 Evander Otieno

     1      2        2 Rafael Avila

     1      2        2 Francis De Brabandere

     1      2        2 Oliver Lockwood

     1      2        2 Sjoerd Mulder

     1      1        1 kellen

     1      1        1 Dhirendra Kumar Kashyap

     1      1        1 Thomas Szymanski

     1      1        1 Ifeanyi Ubah

     1      1        1 Vitor de Moraes

     1      1        1 Manu Zhang