Hi,

Today my persistent actor is using the default UnboundedDequeBasedMailbox.
However, to improve resiliency, I would like to use a non-blocking
BoundedDequeBasedMailbox so that my persistent actor drops messages to dead
letters if it is overwhelmed and cannot keep up with incoming messages.

Config might be something like this:

roqactor-mailbox {
 mailbox-type = "akka.dispatch.BoundedDequeBasedMailbox"
 mailbox-capacity = 500
 mailbox-push-timeout-time = 0ms
}

I am concerned about any possible side effect the bounded mailbox might
introduce on the recovery of the actor state from its persistent journal.

Specifically does the mailbox-capacity need to be greater than the maximum
number of journal events in the actor's journal?

For example say my actor's persistent journal contains 4000 events and my
mailbox-capacity is 500 will recovery work reliably? Or does my
mailbox-capacity need to be at least 4000 in this example?

Are other folks on this list using BoundedDequeBasedMailbox on their
persistent actors?

Are there any other side effects using a BoundedDequeBasedMailbox with a
persistent actor that I should look into?

Best wishes,
Seoras