akka remoting is fabulous for exchanging small messages. By default the
maximum-frame-size is 128000 bytes and messages larger than that size are
logged and dropped with akka.remote.OversizedPayloadException. You can tune
maximum-frame-size but you should keep it small since remoting is used for
core akka functionality such as cluster heartbeats. Larger messages will
hog the channel and cause problems.

If you have larger messages you either need to break them down into smaller
ones or look for an alternative protocol such as akka http or akka streams.

akka.remote.netty.tcp.maximum-frame-size

If you google for 'akka maximum-frame-size' you'll find more background.

Best wishes,
Seoras