Just out of curiosity, why is the AuthenticationDirective using a Tuple1[T]
instead of just T?
Is this because of forward compatibility or has this some other reason?

It’s because we have infrastructure for combining directives of arbitrary
arity touples into other “combined” directives, where the type is simply
the sum of the TupleN and TupleM becomes a Tuple(N+M) with the values
combined. Having a special case for 1 would involve more conversions and
possibly not even work then, thus expressing it as Tuple1. Same with
directives that don’t provide values — they are Tuple0.

trait AuthenticationDirective[T] extends Directive1[T]

type Directive1[T] = Directive[Tuple1[T]]

Also it seems that the doc
https://doc.akka.io/docs/akka-http/current/routing-dsl/directives/security-directives/authenticateBasicAsync.html?language=scala
is out of date because it does not reflect this in the example and it also
contains a reference to a not existing class HttpAuthenticator.

I would like to fix the doc (provide a PR) but I think I am not experienced
enough.

Thanks for reporting — could you open a ticket about this?
http://github.com/akka/akka-http/issues so we don’t miss it?

You can pretty easily fix things even in the web UI, so I’d recommend you
give it a shot :-) Would be very nice of you, thanks!

Here’s the file of the page:
https://github.com/akka/akka-http/blob/master/docs/src/main/paradox/routing-dsl/directives/security-directives/authenticateBasicAsync.md
(this
is linked to on the page itself, as “The source code for this page can be
found here”).

Thanks!

Konrad 'ktoso <http://kto.so>' Malawski
Akka <http://akka.io/> @ Lightbend <http://lightbend.com/>