Yeah, it seems that the problem may be poorly thought out or stated.
If there are extra pieces to the puzzle that are not needed then
(ignoring the 10 piece "minimum") isn't one single piece a solution to
the puzzle?  Or as a correlary, if I have a 48 piece solution, doesn't
this include 48 different 47 piece solutions (if I throw out one of the
48 pieces)?  And each or those include 47 different 46 piece solutions?

I am curious to the actual nature of the problem, though.

Zach