On 1/3/06, pramod <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The problem is not clear to me. How can an algo exist that takes O(n)
> space but only O(log n) time?
O(n) space for precalculation
O(log n) time for real computation

> Even just to access the O(n) memory, we
> need O(n) time. For example in the above algo, if i = 1 and j = n, then
> how can the sum be obtained in O(log n) time?
re-read the previous posts ...

The problem is not really, really, really clear,
in fact I tried to solve the problem:

Given sorted array of size n. For any i, j < n; return me sum from
array[i] to array[j] in a maximum time of O(log n).
You can do pre-computations, using O(n) memory
for any kind of data-structure. Pre-computations
computational time is not important.

bye !

mattia.