More generally there are hundreds of these tricks for getting integer
logic and arithmetic to do non-obvious computations.  There really
isn't a theory beyond the rules of 2-s complement arithmetic.  I do
remember some years (10 or 12?) back or so some papers by a guy who had
a way of discovering instruction sequences like this with a kind of
specialized theorem prover.  I'm sorry I can recall enough to give a
reference.