Personally I would like nothing other than Knuth's '72 article in Lectures on Computer Science, but even there you'd find the Master ambivalent when <<actually>> defining the term!

And I agree formalism is the only method to clear away the ambiguity. Kindly consider the example

Milton uses the word "Inferno" in poetic fashion that can be interpreted into many meanings.
But can you take any meaning other than the one stated in a statement like ...

   char tmp [] = "Inferno\0";

Of course the quality of attempt is something to be analyzed here not the objective!