> For working with huge files of data, mergesort is the best choice.
> Saying you're going to beat it is nice - but it's like trying to
> outswim a tuna - not likely in practice.

I don't believe this.  Generally, when the data is partitioned small
enough to fit into memory, it would be wise to then switch to quicksort
if
possible.  So, i would agree with you that no one sort is best in this
case, but
it probably isn't correct to say merge sort is the best choice either.

I agree that things have chnaged since my early tests of sorting. But,
in those tests, Quicksort and then merging the sub-results was not as
fast as simply mergesorting the data, straightaway.

Memory has gotten a LOT bigger since then, so this may have changed the
results - but I doubt it. Because HD's have become much faster as well.

(Yellowfin Tuna swim about 45 m.p.h, top speed). Sharks don't outswim
them, let alone humans. :-)

Adak