This works only if you assume that you do not go backwards i.e. your
max path length is N+M-2. If you can go backwards, then I think that
there are more paths than just these.

e.g. in 3x3 grid you can have path length more than 4

I havent given much thought on how to count all possible paths ...
maybe some variation of Floyd-Warshalls ...

-Dhyanesh