Thank you for the reply.  I have not searched on your hints yet, but
here is a clarification.

> could you please explain your problem more in detail?

Sure.  Here is a very simple example of what I am trying to do.  Say I
have a graph given by...

Node 1:
   neighbor of 2, distance=1
   neighbor of 3, distance=2

Node 2:
   neighbor of 1, distance=1
   neighbor of 3, distance=2

Node 3:
   neighbor of 1, distance=2
   neighbor of 2, distance=2

... which is to be placed in a plane.  A glance tells you that these
nodes arranged with the proper separations forms an isosceles triangle.
 An acceptable output of this program would be...

Node 1 at coords: x=0, y=0
Node 2 at coords: x=0, y=1
Node 3 at coords: x=sqrt(2^2 - .5^2) ,y=.5

As mentioned, this is not unique but this does not matter (I think).
You could try a more difficult graph (but still simple)...

Node 1:
   neighbor of 2, distance=1
   neighbor of 3, distance=2
   neighbor of 4, distance=2

Node 2:
   neighbor of 1, distance=1
   neighbor of 3, distance=2
   neighbor of 4, distance=2

Node 3:
   neighbor of 1, distance=2
   neighbor of 2, distance=2

Node 4:
   neighbor of 1, distance=2
   neighbor of 2, distance=2

...in which case...

Node 1 at coords: x=0, y=0
Node 2 at coords: x=0, y=1
Node 3 at coords: x= sqrt(2^2 - .5^2) ,y=.5
Node 4 at coords: x= - sqrt(2^2 - .5^2) ,y=.5

...would be a valid solution.

> What is your problem, optimization?

There are a set of valid solutions which I am looking to explore.
There is no value to be optimize, it is merely right or wrong.

>It is related with the embedding of finite metrics over finite graph?

Sorry, I don't understand this.

> That is, what do you mean with euclidean separation of nodes? Something like
> w(i, j)
> is the distance between Rome and Venice or w(i, j) can be any real non
> negative value
> that defines a distance?

If vector r locates node 1 and vector s locates node 2, the magnitude
of r-s is the seperation I am talking about.  By Euclidean, I merely
meant that we are dealing with the sqaure root for the sum of the
square differences in each orthogonal direction ala (in 2d)...

r^2 = x^2 + y^2

Thank you for your interest,
Zach