I don't know what simulated annealing is, but I'll google it later.

If I had to code up something for this, I'd look at the energy states
as a chess program looks for a best evaluation of a position. In this
case, low energy is the goal.

Like the chess engines, I'd use Alpha-Beta to run through the zillions
of possible states, and cut out many so they don't even have to be
looked at (as opposed to Mini-Max).

With a straight forward evaluation to your energy states (as compared
to the complex evaluation of a chess position), your program would
romp.

Good luck to you. Let us know how you come out with this, please. It's
an interesting problem, for sure.

Adak