A (key?) question: is it tolerable that the merged group of bets generate
some bets that were not contained in the original group?

For example, for the bet group

   1 2 3 7 8 9 5 2 3 7 8 9 1 6 3 7 8 9 5 6 3 7 8 9 1 2 4 7 8 9 5 2 4 7 8 9 1
6 4 7 8 9

the merge 1+5 / 2+6 / 3+4 / 7 / 8 / 9, renders good compression but it
generates one unwanted bet.

It would help that you send a sample group of bets.