1. You can certainly do it in O(n log(n)) without any additional
memory. Sometimes you can bring the complexity down using additional
memory (i.e., hashing).

2. O(n log(n)) is trivial (sorting). There is a linear time algorithm
for finding the median (I call it "median of the medians", I don't
know if it has a specific name). Here is a good description of the
algorithm (see "Linear Selection" section):
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/courses/archive/spring06/cos423/Handouts/notes%20on%20heapsort.doc