Wouldn't the ideal be to record the changes, as they are made?
(perhaps in a struct.) With large matrices, the very last thing you
want to do is a cell by cell comparison.

If it isn't possible to record what changes are being made, as they
are being changed, then a cell by cell scan would have to be used
initially. Once that first changed cell is found, then it should
change to first check for the most common changes that occur (ie.
check the row, if that's the most common change, then the column, if
that's the next most common change), etc.

But the key thing is to get a record made of every change, as it is
being made, and completely avoid rechecking every cell in both
array's.