Expectation Maximisation. I think the typical classroom example is
fitting k normal curves to data, and in that case, the best-fitting k
normal kurves will give the best "Expectation". But the one thing that
people don't like about this is that it's not guaranteed to find all
of them.

They're O(n) iterations for a long time...