O(n) extra memory will suffice, and you already use O(n) memory to
store the tree, so I'm not sure what you mean by memory intensive.
It's certainly not the case that you will need a lot of additional
memory (otherwise, you could not store the tree in the first place).

An inorder traversal (which does not solve the problem as you noted)
would require just as much additional memory -- and so does every
other solution I could think of.