Here is the link which discusses the porblem but instead of stones the
problem talks of steps. But the problem is exactly the same.
http://groups.google.com/group/programming-challenges/browse_thread/thread/cd2b733400989439/bb50217ab89c3f42?lnk=gst&q=Steps#bb50217ab89c3f42
Check out the discussion on the above link.

--
Ciao,
Ajinkya