Well, he does say "other" words. "hippopotamuses" is not made up of
other words in the list.

It looks like a recursive procedure would do the trick. It might help
to sort the word list into order by length. Then beginning with the
longest word, find other words that match the beginning of the word.
For each of them, recurse on the rest of the word. If you get to end
the word, you've found your answer.

Dave