Could the original question be missing something, like the
specification of the rectangle being a longer operation, such as O(log
n)?

A dominance relationship structure (storage: O(n^2)) has, after you
use inclusion/exclusion to specify the rectangle, a query time of
O(1). Could that be what he is looking for?