I want to convert a MAC Address to a 16-bit unique identifier.
Generally a MAC Address is 48 bits but for my application all the MAC
Addresses will be from the one supplier so I really only need to deal
with the last 24 bits of the address.

So basically I would like some sort of hashing algorithm I guess that
will convert 24 bits into a unique 16 bit identifier.  I'm not looking
for absolutely zero collision either.  I'm not sure how good some of
the CRC style algorithms would work but if someone can convince me
that they will do the job then so be it.

Thanks

Simon