Hi,

The following question may be simple for you guys, but I do really need
help.

I have the following application, all the code is Javascript (so you'll miss
all those powerful library features and server-class computing power).

I need an algorithm improvement for the following scenario:

1. I have a string of pipe delimited values, e.g. value1|value2|value3
2. I will need to find one value, and remove it from the string. For
instance, I will need to find value2 and remove it from the string so the
end result would be something like value1|value3
3. My current approach is very direct, yet inefficient; split the string
into array, iterate the array, for each item, I will reconstruct the string
using string concatenation (e.g. newvalue += currentvalue), if currentvalue
is equal to the one being removed, I will skip this value and continue with
the next items.

The problem is, this algorithm is very slow because whatever you remove, it
will need to iterate the whole array (O(n)). Even worse, if I remove more
than one value at once, it will iterate the whole array as many times as the
item being removed.

Anyone have insight about certain algorithm I can use to improve this
scenario? Keep in mind it's in Javascript.

--
Adrian Godong
[EMAIL PROTECTED]