i think that, you could just simulate the tournament, ande before each weak
you sort players by number of played matches, and if this numer is same then
by name.
And after you have them sorted,you just assign an oponent to first player,
in such way that you choose the one the first one with whom he diddnt
played, and you repeat this 3 more times, or you may pick first eight
players and try to find perfect matching.
for eight players it should look like this
AB,CD,EF,GH
AC,BD,EG,FH
AD,BC,EH,FG
for ten players
AB,CD,EF,GH,  bye I,J
IJ,AC,BD,EG, bye FH
FH,IA,JB,CE bye DG
DF,GI,HJ,AE  by BC
BC,DG,FI,HA      by JE  <---------here it should be better if BC,DG,FJ,HI
and bye AE

sorry i not sure if i made example correct, but i belive that algorithm is
good enough.
there are a lot things to try, for example instedad of sorting my name you
can decide by ranodm, or by firste unasigned opponent.