This is like a similar mathematical problem:
There are a set of points on the two dimensional plane. Every point
can be represented as (x, y)
Now pick up a certain number of points which make they are far away
from each other ASAP.

The problem is to define:
1. What is distance of two different points  (usually for points on
plane, euclidean distance would be the choice)
2. How to measure the closeness of a set of points?
many ways, like maximum radius, minimum radius, mean distance, average
distance, mean distance& variance of distance, etc...
There is no a universal measure, depend on the situation to select a
suitable one.

Using edition distance to be the distance measure of  two strings is
fine