This can be formulated as a 0-1 integer programming problem.

Define the matrix A such that a(i,j) = 1 if machine i is connected to
machine j, and = 0 otherwise (with the interpretation that every
machine is connected to itself).

Let x be a vector whose elements are in the set {0, 1}, where x(j) = 0
means that machine j is not an administrative machine and x(j) = 1
means that it is.

Then the 0-1 integer programming problem is:

detemine x to
minimize sum{ x(i) }
subject to [A*x](i) >= 1.

The inequality above means that the i'th component of the matrix-
vector product A*x is >= 1. It simply means that machine i is
connected to at least one administrative machine.

You should be able to find software or algorithms to solve 0-1 integer
programming problems.

Dave