divide the horses into 5 groups a,b,c,d,e number them as a1,a2,..,a5,
b1..b5, c1..c5, d1..d5 and e1..e5. Conduct 5 races within the groups. Youve
15 winners (3 frm each race). a1,a2,a3,b1,b2,b3...,e1,e2,e3. Now conduct a
sixth race among a1,b1,c1,d1,e1. Youve 3 winners say they are a1,b1,c1. Now
you can eliminate all the d's and e's. since d1 and e1 isnt even in the top
3. You also eliminate b3,c2,c3 as they cannot be in the top 3 as there are
already altleast 3 horses faster than them. After this elimination, you are
left with a1,a2,a3,b1,b2,c1.
a1 is the fastest of them all. So conduct a 7th race among a2,a3,b1,b2,c1 to
determine the next 2.