hey, i have a solution to ur prob :

a) for k=2 case, check at intervals of sqrt(n) you will find the jar between
say sqrt(i) and sqrt(i+1)
     do a linear search between sqrt(i) and sqrt(i+1)
     ( clearly the order is sqrt(n) )

b) for k=k! , consider at kth root of n instead of sqrt everywhere above.

I guess you will be able to do the reasoning part now

Rohit Saraf
Sophomore
IIT Bombay

-------