nice solution appreciate it. but your algorithm is wasting time in finding
all the element...
instead of that just find boundary line kth element which can help as in
finding element greater that kth and element small than kth and that soluton
can be done in O(N)

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 10:02 PM, CHERUVU JAANU REDDY <
jaanu.cher...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) Construct max heap by taking first k elements in an array
> 2) if k+1 element less than root of max heap
>        a) Delete root of max heap
>        b) Insert k+1 element in max heap and apply heapify method
> 3) else skip the  element
> 4) apply above procedure for all n elements in an array
>
> At last you will get k smallest elements and root is kth smallest element
> in the array
>
> this is O(nlogk)

> CHERUVU JAANU REDDY
> M.Tech in CSIS
>

> On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 8:41 PM, abhijith reddy
> <abhijith200...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Can any one tell how to do this when there are 'm' queries like "query i j
>> k" find the kth largest element in between indices i->j in an array.
>> When m is large even an O(n) algorithm would be slow.
>> I thinking that each query could be answered in O(sqrt(n)) time
>> So any suggestions ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 7:57 PM, blackDiamond <patidarc...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> there are better solution of O(n) are posted in the thread.......[?].
>>> using order statices ....

>>> --
>>> ~~~~BL/\CK_D!AMOND~~~~~~~~
>>>
>>>  --