Hey, I think the following argument works, but there might be a better
way:

First consider the problem: x1 + x2 + ... = N, where xi's are non-
negative.

Soln: Let us assume we have N balls that we must separate into k
groups (xi = number of balls in the ith group). If we represent each
ball by "O" and separator by "|" then our problem is permuting (k-1)
|'s and N O's. If all of them were distinct it is fact(N+k-1), but
since N balls are identical and (k-1) separators are identical, Total
number of permutations = fact(N+k-1)/fact(k-1)*fact(N) = (N+k-1)C(k-1)

Now looking at the original problem:
We can modify the above solution by considering each separator to be "|
O" i.e., a separator and a ball to the right. Since all the xi's
contain atleast one ball, let us fix a ball to the left of all the
permutations. We now have N-(k-1) - 1 = N-k balls and k-1 separators.
Using the above result, No of permutations = (N-1)C(k-1).

Hope that helps,
Harshith