       if(max>a[n-1])
               return max;
-------------------------------------------------------( 3 )
}
       else
               return a[n-1];
-------------------------------------------------------( 4 )
}

Statement (1) will executed when there is only single present in the  array

Statement (2) otherwise else part will executed
in this section we calling same function with array index n,n-1,......,0
(position of the elements)

Statement (3) checking whether this present element is larger than previous
one ie here we are comparing ( n )th and
(n-1) th element;  if  (n) th is greater then it will return its value

Statement (4)
here if  (n-1) th is greater so  it will return its value

-- Prashant Kulkarni