I also tried the same on Cygwin which has GCC and G++ compilers installed.It
also did not throw any error to me for .c file and threw the following error
for .cpp file:

$ g++ practice.cpp
practice.cpp: In function `int main()':
practice.cpp:4: error: initializer-string for array of chars is too long

I ran this piece of code on GCC compiler:

#include<stdio.h>
int main()
{
  char str[7]="strings";
  int i=printf("%s\n",str);
  printf("%d %d %d\n",i,sizeof(str)/sizeof(str[0]),strlen(str));
  return 0;
}

and it yielded:

kt...@akjlab /cygdrive/f/Code/linux