Let me elaborate,please refer the below diagram, FBH is corner of
inner square and CAD is of the outer square.:

A ____D__
   |\   /
   |  \e
   |/_ \B_____H
 C|     |
   |     |

CD, EB is the proposed position of the planks, i.e. CD is one plank,
EB is another.
BC = L (distance as given), therefore AB = L(sqrt(2))
So. Ae + eB >= L(sqrt(2))
Since Possible MAX(eB) = L (length of the plank),
 Ae >= L(sqrt(2)) - L  = 0.414 L, apprx.

If I use full length of the plank as L in CD, then Ae comes out to be
0.5L, which satisfies the above. Thus, the solution is feasible. I
hope i have not made it too complicated.