@Dave
yes im also trying to say the same point as Gene
      these problem is similar to
          "*Least fare for a return trip Algorithm*"  where u have suggest
the exactly same algorithm..
@Gene do see these similar problem
     "[algogeeks] Least fare for a return trip Algorithm"
here we have to find minimum n pairs sum instead of maximum.

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 6:01 AM, Gene <gene.ress...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmm...
>
> First, drawing the table is O(n^2).  So we have to assume you never
> really draw the table.
>
> Second, your description is too imprecise to say if it will work in
> general.  Give a pseudocode, please.  I don't believe that any
> algorithm based on local inspection of this table will work.  In
> general you'll be hopping around the table in a wild order.
>
> Third, I'm not sure why you'd pick an example where a and b are the
> same array.  All the interesting cases are when they're different.
>
> On Oct 16, 6:35 pm, ligerdave <david.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > like i said before, draw a table w/ x=a and y=b
> >
> > come out w/ the matrix and you would see a patten
> >
> >      30   29   4   3   2   1
> >
> > 30   60   59   34  33  32  31
> >
> > 29   59   58   33  32  31  30
> >
> > 4    34   33    8   7   6   5
> >
> > 3    33   32    7   6   5   4
> >
> > 2    32   31    6   5   4   3
> >
> > 1    31   30    5   4   3   2
> >
> > you start from a[0] and b[0], compare them, take the bigger one, set
> > the smaller one(for next iteration) and set a limit.
> >
> > for instance, in this case, either one works. let's say a[0] is
> > bigger, the limit will be a[1]+b[0]. limit is always the element next
> > to the bigger one in array, plus the biggest in another array.
> >
> > you loop through a[0]+b[i] where i=0 to length of b. stop when the
> > outcome is less than limit.
> >
> > now you take what is stored(the smaller one) to start the next
> > iteration(steps above)
> >
> > On Oct 15, 7:56 pm, Gene <gene.ress...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > > Hi Arun.  Last time we discussed this problem I came up with the same
> > > idea.  Unfortunately it doesn't work.  The problem is that in order
> > > for the "merge" to be correct, each pair of pointers must be
> > > guarenteed to produce sums that are in non-increasing order.  They
> > > don't.  For example, if you run your program with
> >
> > >         int a[N] = { 1, 2, 3, 4,29,30};
> > >         int b[N] = { 1, 2, 3, 4,29,30};
> >
> > > It will produce
> >
> > > (30,30)=> 60 (30,29)=> 59 (29,30)=> 59 (30,4)=> 34 (4,30)=> 34
> > > (30,3)=> 33
> >
> > > This is wrong because the 4th pair should be (29,29) => 58.
> >
> > > In fact, niether here nor in the previous discussion did we ever get a
> > > correct solution.
> >
> > > If you figure it out, please post.

> way
> based on

> simplicity.

> b_candidate_1=N-1,
> a[a_candidate_1]+b[b_candidate_2];
> a[a_candidate_2]+b[b_candidate_1];

> let's

> \in A
> such
> pairs

> <algogeeks%2bunsubscr...@googlegroups ­.com>

*Divesh*
(¨`·.·´¨) Always
   `·.¸.·´" Life can give u 100's of reason 2cry,but u can give life 1000's
of reasons 2Smile"