We are given a checkerboard which has 4 rows and n columns, and has an
integer written in each square. We are also given a set of 2n pebbles,
and we want to place some or all of these on the checkerboard (each
pebble can be placed on exactly one square) so as to maximize the sum
of the integers in the squares that are covered by pebbles. There is
one constraint: for a placement of pebbles to be legal, no two of them
can be on horizontally or vertically adjacent squares (diagonal
adjacency is  fine).

(a) Determine the number of legal patterns that can occur in any
column (in isolation, ignoring the pebbles in adjacent columns) and
describe these patterns.

Call two patterns compatible if they can be placed on adjacent columns
to forma legal placement. Let us consider subproblems consisting of
the  first k columns 1  <= k <=   n. Each subproblem can be assigned a
type, which is the pattern occurring in the last column.

(b) Using the notions of compatibility and type, give an O(n)-time
dynamic programming algorithm for computing an optimal placement