I fail to see how any of them work in the general case.

In fact, I don't even see them working with range restrictions for n. Also
what is the missing number you are talking about? The question is to find
the repeated number. As I said before, its an element uniqueness problem
whose lower bound is proven to be n log n. So, an O(n) solution does not
exist in the general case.