Consider the following scenario:
On the first trip, the elephant carries 1000 bananas. the elephant walk 250
km consuming 250 bananas  left in position 250 (500 bananas). After that, he
goes back over 250 Km eating more bananas 250 bananas. On the second trip,
the elephant carries 1000 bananas again, walk 250 km, carrying over 250
bananas and arrives at B with 250 bananas. More he can not go back just
because  finish bananas.
ok?
Wladimir Araujo Tavares
*Federal University of CearĂ¡