There are several techniques to implement a URL shortening. Keys can
be generated in base 36, assuming 26 letters and 10 numbers. In this
case, each character in the sequence will be 0, 1, 2, ..., 9, a, b,
c, ..., y, z. Alternatively, if uppercase and lowercase letters are
differentiated, then each character can represent a single digit
within a number of base 62 (26 + 26 + 10). In order to form the key, a
hash function can be made, or a random number generated so that key
sequence is not predictable. Or users may propose their own keys.