when u log in with a user name and password, the mail client(gmail)(mail
server) contacts the IMAP server through a port(imap is 143 i guess)and you
can view your mails on the server(the mails that were sent to u sit in a
queue on this server) itself or bring a copy to your local machine.SMTP
server is only in play when a mail is sent(outgoing).

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 2:23 PM, <mageshthegr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> **I don't think you use smtp to view yahoo or gmail. It is only http
> requests and responses. The smtp is significant only if you use your
> computer as the server to send or receive emails. If you have a local apache
> server then it uses the port to send out mails from your local copy of
> website running on the server.
>
> Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel
> ------------------------------
> *From: *Rahul <rahul.r.m...@gmail.com>
> *Sender: *algogeeks@googlegroups.com
> *Date: *Thu, 28 Jul 2011 17:26:20 +0530
> *To: *<algogeeks@googlegroups.com>
> *ReplyTo: *algogeeks@googlegroups.com
> *Subject: *Re: [algogeeks] hai...........
>
> How it is that we open a number of email in a computer , when there is only
> one port for smtp?
> ---
> Rahul
>

> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 5:23 PM, sharmila saru <sharmi99p...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> my area of interest is computer network............ as  u ask question abt
>> that .................. i will answer immediately..........

 Arun Vish
Graduate Student
Department of Computer Science
University of Southern California