If u have 2GB of data file which has one string per line and u have to sort
it, and X MB of memory is available.then divide the file into 'K' chunks of
X MB each. Bring each chunk into memory and sort lines by any usual O(nlgn)
algorithm \. Save the lines back to files.
D this for all chunks and once u'v finished.merge them all.
External sort and N-way merge example!!

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 3:24 PM, rajeev bharshetty <rajeevr...@gmail.com>wrote:

> B Trees data structures are optimal for such problems.
> These algorithms help to access large amount of data which we cannot fit
> into main memory .
>

> On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Puneet Gautam <puneet.nsi...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> If u have to sort a large amount of data,but the memory space is
>> insufficient for the same...How would u sort the data..?
>>
>> Reply asap everyone..
>>
>> Thanks in advance...!

> Regards
> Rajeev N B <http://www.opensourcemania.co.cc>
>
> "*Winners Don't do Different things , they do things Differently"*

  best wishes!!
    Vaibhav
     DU-MCA