Me too didn't get Raghavan's algo...  Pls explain..
It seems that above algo will find only longest sequence starting from index
0.

Just a thought:
Along with raghavan's algo, what if I keep and
array_of_integers[string_length]
and keep on storing the count in this array.

Once string is traversed we have to find the max distance among two equal
numbers in an array. (need to think on this problem as well)