What i am saying is

if i write it like
p[5]= 'a';

Then the compiler will raise an error . Because the memory where the string
constant "Hello world" gets stored is read only.

But it i do it like

char s[] = "hello world",*p;

p=s;

p[5]='a';

It is valid becoz the string is now stored in stack segment of program .

So my doubt is where the string constant gets stored exactly in the first
case...and why it cant be altered..

On 21 August 2011 22:06, Sanjay Rajpal <srn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You can change the pointer only, not the content.
>
> But in case of static int, u can also change the value also. if u specify
> const, u can't change the value then.
>

> Sanju
> :)
>

> On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 9:56 PM, Dave <dave_and_da...@juno.com> wrote:
>
>> @Kumar: You've declared a pointer, and you can change the pointer,
>> just as in int i=10 declares an integer that you can change.
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> On Aug 21, 11:28 pm, kumar raja <rajkumar.cs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > char *p= "hello world";
>> >
>> > When we try to modify the  above string it will raise an error. I heard
>> that
>> > the String constant is stored in the Data segment of the process . The
>> data
>> > segment consists of two parts .
>> > 1)Initialized data segment
>> > 2)Uninitialized data segment
>> >
>> > If we use some other global variable in the same program  say static int
>> > i=10;
>> >
>> > But it could be modified at later.So why not the string constant cant be
>> > modified??? Someone said that it is stored in Text/Code segment . I
>> think
>> > thats wrong . the Text segment is only a set of machine instructions to
>> > execute the program ,but does not contain  any  data  values.
>> >
>> > So, Where the above String constant is stored and why it cant be
>> altered???
>> >
>> > --
>> > Regards
>> > Kumar Raja