not enough information, imo.   Tell me more about the given string...
is the string made up of consecutive integers/characters ?  Are there
always the same number of each character type?  And the goal is to
"braid" , like the hairstyle, as much as possible (if the previous
answer is no, all "braids" cannot be the same)?