well if the answer is more than 3, I would be surprised.  There are
probably some integer rules to justify really small limits, but here
is how I justified it to myself:

I.  Treat every variable like it is a.    2a^2  <=  4a , or   a^2 <=
2a   .   This only works for a=1, a=2.  So likely  a cannot be more
than 2.

a)  suppose a=1 and treat d as a c.
b+c^2 = 1+b+2c
c^2 = 1+2c
c^2 - 2c - 1 = 0
c^2 - 2c +1 = 2
(c-1)^2       = 2
c = 1+- sqrt(2)
hmm.. so c doesnt even reach 3

b) suppose a=2 and treat d as a c.
2b + c^2 = 2 + b + 2c
b =  -c^2 - 2c + 2
with values of c>=3 ,  the right side is negative.

II. conclusions?   a is at most 2, and c is at most 2.   So yea,
basically what Don said.

1, 1, 2, 3
1, 2, 2, 3
2, 2, 2, 2