This is true when memoization is being used to merely improve
asymptotic efficiency of a single computation. (As you say, it's a
nice technique for DP, when you can often just remember one or a few
previous rows of results.)

However this is not the only use.  General memoization maintains
values persistently.  In this case memoized fib(n) will cost O(n) for
the first call.  Afterward any call for fib(i), i <= n will run in
constant time.  If there are many similar-valued calls to fib, this is
a big deal.