This is pretty funny because modern ECG machines generate digital
output. You might first look into whether you can get the digits
directly from the machine rather than scans of paper.

But suppose you can't.  I assume you asking how to find numerical
coordinates for the curve by scanning and then analysing the scan.

The process of converting a pixmap or bitmap--a big 2d array of pixel
data--to polyline coordinates is called "vectorzation."  I did a quick
Google search and came up with this page, which mentions several open
source vectorizers:

http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Tools

Most of these tools are going to produce SVG files.  You'll probably
need to look up the SVG file format to determine how to extract the
coordinates you need.  Since you are training neural nets, you are
going to have to "clean" the results: put them all on the same
vertical and horizontal scale, ensure the grid in the background isn't
interpreted as data, etc.

If you are required to implement the vectorizer yourself, write back.
I have done that and can give you pointers.

Once you have numerical descriptions of the code, I'd stay in
MATLAB.

Just so you know, professional ECG analyzers usually work in the
_frequency_ domain.  I.e. they work on the DFT of the ECG signal, not
the signal itself.  Or they use both, but the DFT is primary.  With
MATLAB, taking the DFT is one line of code.  And MATLAB has a neural
net toolkit.