Which traditional approach you are talking about? :-o I haven't solved many
of such problems and thus dunno the tradition.. :P

Whenever I see such type of problems what I do is calculate maximum number
of basic blocks we can form.
Once this is done, problem can be solved recursively.
But the problem here is: In this question, for each n there is a unique
structure which you cannot construct using basic blocks.
Thus, i am not able to get the simple recurrence, instead I get the
recurrence having n terms which I think is impossible to solve.
Any link on basics will be appreciated. :) :)