This is a nice paper.  I think that for matrix multiplication it ends
up saying pretty much the same as we've been discussing.

The OP said "serial" code. Vector code isn't serial.  However it's
easy to try vectorization these days. The latest versions of gcc will
do a very reasonable job with the right optimization flags.  However
be aware that if you create a binary with vector code for one machine
it can easily fail on a different one. Unlike the basic x86
instruction set, there are several levels and branches of "standards."