Quoting from wikipedia:
The *depth* (or *height*) of a tree is the length of the path from the root
to the deepest node in the tree.

However notice *length *is not defined and is left on the intuition.So *both
answers 2 and 3 are correct if we follow the above definition.* However the
next line on wiki entry says "*A (rooted) tree with only one node (the
root) has a depth of zero." **So this line suggests the height should be 2.
*But in either case I don't think any sane computer scientist/programmer
will worry about whether the answer should be 2 or 3.After all the answer
differs by a constant factor.All depends on how you want to implement
it.Somewhat similar question can be whether 0 is a positive number?
Saurabh Singh
B.Tech (Computer Science)
MNNIT
blog:geekinessthecoolway.blogspot.com