Q1) The only interface to the dictionary is this binary function? It
would be very helpful to know if there are words in the dictionary
with a given prefix. If the requirement is to find all words in the
matrix, as you stated, there is not a better option than to loop over
every string which can be formed from the matrix.

Q2) Use a state machine to match the string. If using strstr is a
requirement, I'll call it once, after I find the string, just to meet
that technicality.

Don