The postincrement does take place when you reach the &&, so anything
after the && would have a=1, but the value of the expression a++ is
still zero. By the definition of postincrement, a++ has the value of a
before the increment.

If you wrote

int a = 0;
int j = a++ || a;

You will end up with j=1 because the postincrement will have taken
place before the right hand side of the "or" is evaluated.

Don